Tuesday, February 25, 2003

Get ready!!

This lady criticises me that I don't say one good thing about USA. The truth is I never got an opportunity to say anything good about USA because all these days I have been ranting about the war. And in that context I hate USA. When it comes to promotion of science, I love USA; when it comes to the speed at which justice is delivered, I love USA. When it comes to suing McDonald's because I ate too much, I love USA. When it comes to being prepared for terrorist attacks, I love USA. What?! Yeah! You heard me right!

America is preparing its people to be ready in case of a terrorist attack. The government website, called READY, highlights the things the American citizens should do if faced in the unlikely event (or should I say a likely event?) of terrorist attack. It outlines all sorts of attacks from biological, to chemical to even nuclear attacks. I have read just the brochure and this is what I came up with.

One gallon of water per person per day for drinking; sanitation in clean plastic containers; foods that you will eat, including protein or fruit bars, dry cereal or granola, canned foods and juices, peanut butter, dried fruit, nuts, crackers and baby foods; a manual can opener, cups and eating utensils; dense- weave cotton material, can help filter contaminants in an emergency; face masks; heavyweight garbage bags or plastic sheeting, duct tape and scissors; a flashlight, battery; powered radio, extra batteries, a first aid kit, utility knife, local map, toilet paper, feminine hygiene products, soap, garbage bags and other sanitation supplies, as well as extra cash and identification; warm clothing for each family member in your supply kit, including a jacket or coat, long pants, a long sleeve shirt, sturdy shoes, a hat and gloves; a sleeping bag or warm blanket; pack diapers, formula, bottles, prescription medications, pet food, comfort items, books, paper, pens, a deck of cards or other forms of entertainment; the phone numbers; coins or a prepaid phone card.

Phew! These are the 'essential' supplies. Its much more if you consider the stuff you need for a full family. I wonder if 'pet food' accidentally snuck in there or it was actually part of the list. I mean if there were a nuclear blast, I for one would be the last person to bother about feeding my poodle! But I guess one could justify it in times of lesser forms of attack. Anyways, interested people can read it and update their general knowledge of what one should do in times of crisis and how to prepare for it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Clicky Web Analytics